Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review - Blue Asylum by Kathy Hepinstall

The writing is beautiful! The description of the island setting is captivating. The storyline is easy to follow, and the tone is almost ethereal. The characters are complicated, and Hepinstall keeps the reader guessing as to who is truly sane and who is actually a raving lunatic. Hepinstall allows the reader to learn each asylum patient's story from flashbacks, and she allows us into the emotions of the doctor, his wife, and his young son Wendell.

I cannot give this book a complete 5-star rating because there were some loose ends that did not compute. For instance, there was a point where Wendell claims to have math homework, but the entire storyline leads the reader to believe this island is isolated with the only contact to the outside world coming through the loading dock at the ocean. There are two other things that stretch logic, but I will not comment lest I reveal a spoiler.

There is a character (whom I was convinced was sane) who did something so unexpected that I literally gasped. Hepinstall tricked me so completely that I had to laugh at being taken in so easily. An author who causes the reader to react (laugh, gasp, cry) is truly a gifted wordsmith.

No comments:

Post a Comment