I am excited to announce that the Quitman Public Library is finally getting our new roof installed! Construction is scheduled to begin Wednesday, December 18, 2013, and this should be a 6-week project according to the contractors at Castro Roofing. We will also be replacing our old HVAC units with new ones, at a discount, courtesy of Ray Robert’s Service in Quitman. Parking will likely be a problem for a few weeks, but it will be worth it. If you have any questions or concerns about the project, feel free to stop by or call me at 903-763-4191.
Everyone’s talking about OverDrive®, and here’s why: If you have a Quitman Public Library card, you can now check out up to 5 of the newest eBooks for 2 weeks to read on your computer, download to your smart phone, and download to your reading device such as the Nook® or Kindle®.
To make it easy to understand, OverDrive® is the platform that stores eBooks. The Northeast Texas Digital Consortium is a group of libraries that join our resources and finances to purchase and share eBooks with each other. The Quitman Public Library now subscribes to be part of this consortium. Follow these step-by-step instructions to start reading today:
1. Visit our webpage at www.quitmanlibrary.org and click on the link provided, or go to: http://netldc.lib.overdrive.com (don’t use www.)
2. Sign in on Northeast Texas Digital Consortium page (upper right)
3. Select Quitman Public Library from drop-down menu
4. Enter your library card # (call us if you have lost/forgotten #)
5. Enter PIN# (this is the phone # we have on file USING dashes, ex: 903-763-4191)
6. Start browsing. For tablet and smart phone users, download the OverDrive® app
- Author, Jerry Yost, will be meeting patrons and signing books on December 13th 10 a.m. – 1 p.m
- Quitman Public Library Advisory Board will meet Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 6:00 p.m
- 2nd Friday Acoustical Bluegrass Jam on Friday, December 13th 5-9p.m
- Each Thursday GED classes meet from 10 - noon and English as a Second Language (ESL) meet from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. Both classes are taught by Sandra Grider.
- Elizabeth Soutendijk is now the director of Story Time each Friday from 11 a.m. – noon.
- Knitting instruction by Virginia Hoffpauir in the library’s main gallery each Thursday, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m
As always, I thank the Friends of the Library for its generous support.