Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Thankful for Libraries Connecting Texas (LCT) and E-rate Central

 

The Quitman Public Library – Quitman TX would not be able to sustain high-speed Internet without funding offered by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that is set aside to support rural, underserved communities such as ours.

 

The non-competitive funding is available, and there are required forms that must be filled out correctly, and that is where the Libraries Connecting Texas (LCT) program becomes crucial to library directors such as myself.

 

One year, I worked through the E-rate discount application on my own. I entered an incorrect date that caused my application to be unacceptable. I thought it was a simple mistake that could be easily corrected but found myself in jeopardy of losing all funding for that year.  

 

Fortunately, the Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) offered experts from E-rate Central that were able to guide me through the appeal process and get me back on the right track. I was fortunate that Peoples Communication, my Internet provider was understanding and “carried” the library through the waiting period so there was never a break in service to the patrons.

 

Internet connectivity is crucial to rural communities like Quitman TX. There are financially disadvantaged patrons who may not have high-speed access in their homes. In addition to the connectivity needs for online school resources, higher education opportunities, business and other informational needs, there are those who use the library’s high-speed connectivity for virtual doctor visits.  

 

I appreciate having E-rate Central to oversee and guide me on the right path. I extend my thanks to TSLAC for seeing and understanding the need for E-rate application assistance and allowing Quitman Public Library – Quitman TX to participate in the Libraries Connecting Texas (LCT) program.

No comments:

Post a Comment